Nut milk is truly beautifully elegant. I know that is probably too many descriptives for milk, but wow, it does shine. It seems homemade bread is getting the attention these days. However, I am here to say let's do not forget the other family member, the homemade nut milk. While it takes some thought to prepare, it is worth it. After making it, I usually sit back and think about how easy, inexpensive, healthier, and delicious it truly is. Ok, enough talking. Below are the ingredients you will need and the step-by-step.
1 Cup of Almonds
4 Cups Filtered Water
1 Tlb of Honey (optional)
1 Tbsp of Vanilla (optional)
2 Squares of Cheese Cloth
1. Soak 1 cup of almonds in a few cups of water overnight.
2. In the morning, drain and rinse the almonds.
3. Add the almonds and 4 cups of water to a Vitamix or blender. If you want flavored milk add honey and vanilla. Blend.
4. Add two pieces of cheesecloth to a vessel for filtering the milk. We used a Chemex.
5. Pour the milk over the cheesecloth until full and keep repeating. Stir the non-filtered milk often to keep the liquid moving through the cheesecloth. Squeeze the remaining out of the cheesecloth. Pour into a vessel and refrigerate for enjoying.
It is lovely over a bowl of Walnut Granola.